Have you ever realized your air duct system harbors germs and bacteria in its vents? As soon as you turn on your HVAC unit, these particles get blown into your home and lower the indoor air quality. In some cases, mold spores linger inside your air duct system, which can be a hazard to the health of you and your household. An annual cleaning of your air duct system from a reputable company like Total Chimney Care will rid your system of the bacteria and other particles and improve the air quality inside your house. However, certain situations may arise that require an immediate air duct cleaning, as outlined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- You can see substantial mold growth inside hard surface ducts or on other components of your heating and cooling system. Since breathing mold can create respiratory health problems, an air duct cleaning to rid your system of the mold growth ranks as high importance. You do need to understand several points when dealing with mold detection in a heating and cooling system:
- Ask the Total Chimney Care technician to show you the mold growth as many sections of your heating and cooling system are not easily accessible for a visual inspection.
- Several substances have the same appearance as mold, yet are harmless. To positively determine you have a mold problem, you can send a sample to a microbiology lab for around $50 to have an expert confirmation of mold.
- If your air ducts are insulated and that insulation becomes wet or moldy, it must be removed and replaced.
- Mold growth will come back if you do not correct the conditions that caused the mold to grow in the first place. Total Chimney Care is able to determine and repair the moldy conditions to protect you from dealing with this again.
- Your air duct system has become infested with rodents. When the germs from rodent droppings get spread throughout the air inside your house, contracting bacterial diseases like salmonella and hantavirus becomes a real possibility. Other problems resulting from a rodent infestation of your air duct system include unpleasant odor issues, along with the destruction of your duct work due to the gnawing habits of rodents.
- Excessive amounts of dust are clogged inside your air ducts to the point that debris and particles are released into your home through your supply registers. If you ever notice debris blowing out of your supply registers, you will need to contact Total Chimney Care as soon as possible to arrange an air duct system cleaning. We will use an EPA-approved HEPA filtration vacuum system to remove the dust clogs, bag them up, and properly dispose of the clogged dust.
Improve the indoor air quality in your home by contacting Total Chimney Care today to schedule your annual air duct cleaning. If you are experiencing one of the above situations, we can also take care of your system with an immediate air duct cleaning.